Leo’s room was a work in progress for many months. I don’t think we had the floors installed until about 6 weeks before he was born, so I was not one of those moms that has the whole room completely set up and ready to go. We spent most of those first few weeks on our couch anyway…
We didn’t know if he would be a boy or a girl, but I knew I wanted to create a bright and colorful space that would work either way. But I could not find a cute and colorful mobile that wasn’t ridiculously overpriced. So I decided to make one myself.
- 6 pieces of colored paper
- rubber cement
- 1 spool of metallic thread (I used gold)
- 1 styrofoam floral ring
- 1 spool of bright ribbon (I used neon pink)
- 6 small spacer beads (4mm works well)
- 10-12 small dress pins
1) Make six paper diamonds by using the download and instructions found here. Leave one side open and un-glued as seen in one of the photos above.
2) Cut six 12 inch pieces of metallic thread, and tie a spacer bead on the end of each piece. One by one, put each beaded end in an open diamond and glue it closed, leaving the thread hanging out of the open tip and the bead inside the paper diamond.
3) Pin the end of the ribbon to the inside of the styrofoam floral ring, and begin wrapping the ribbon tightly around the ring to cover it completely in ribbon. Use additional pins to secure the ribbon along the way, wrapping over the top of them to hide the pins as you go. Finish by tucking the end in and pinning to secure it.
4) Tie each diamond to the ring, spacing them out evenly and keeping them at slightly varied heights.
5) Cut three pieces of thread that are about a yard long. Tie each piece to the ring, leaving both ends long and spacing them out evenly. You should have three double strands of thread to hang the mobile. Tie them in a knot about 12″ above the ring so that it hangs evenly, and braid the six strands above that for a nice finish. You can use this string to hang the mobile.